The international Advisory Board of HEUNI serves as an important link with the United Nations and the various regions of Europe. The Chairman of the Advisory Board and four of its members are appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations, after consultation with the Government of Finland.
Four members of the Board, including the Director of HEUNI, are appointed by the Government of Finland. A representative of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime participates ex officio in all deliberations of the Advisory Board.
The members of the Advisory Board are appointed for a period of five years. For the 2017 – 2022 term the composition of the Board is as follows:
• Dr Miklós Lévay, Chairman of the Board
• Ms Anna Alvazzi del Frate, Italy
• Dr Marcelo Aebi, Switzerland
• Ms Corinne Dettmeijer-Vermeulen, The Netherlands
• Director of the Division for Treaty Affairs, UNODC (ex officio member)
• Mr Aarne Kinnunen, Finland
• Dr Kimmo Nuotio, Finland
• Ms Sirpa Rautio, Finland
• Steven Malby, UK
• Dr Natalia Ollus, Director, HEUNI